Salime Hydropower Plant
Salime Hydropower Plant is constituted by the dam and the power plant of the same name and is situated in the southwest of Asturias on the River Navia, as indicated above. The construction works began in 1946 and although they were completed in 1955, the final recognition Act and commission is dated the 1st of March, 1957. However, the first generator began generating electricity in December 1953 and two more began their operations in 1954 and lastly in 1955. The project was due to the technical office of the former Banco Urquijo, led then by a professor at the Madrid School of Civil Engineering Mr Enrique Becerril and Anton-Miralles.
It is the second hydropower plant, chronologically speaking, built on the River Navia, after Doiras and before Arbón was subsequently built. Described below are the three main elements: the dam, reservoir and powerhouse.The dam is a “gravity” type plant, curved with a radius of 400 m. Its main features are:
|Crowning length||250,00 m|
|Crowning width||9,00 m|
|Crowning elevation||225,67 masl|
|Spillway threshold height||218,00 masl|
|Height above foundations||128,00 m|
|Upstream Slope||5 %|
|Downstream Slope||72 %|
|Excavation volume||156.000 m³|
|Volume of concrete||645.000 m³|
|Basil area||1.805 km²|
|Annual average flow||49,36 m³/s|
|Annual average contribution||1.588 hm³|
|Normal elevation on maximal height (NEM)||224,50 masl|
|Extraordinary elevation on maximal height (EEM)||225,50 masl|
|Minimum elevation on working levels||172,50 masl|
|Bed base elevation on dam reservoir||111,00 masl|
|Total volume of reservoir from 111,00-224,50||265,60 hm³|
|Useful reservoir volume from 172,50-224,50||239,50 hm³|
|Volume regulated by gates, between 218,00 and 224,50||50,24 hm³|
|Volume of the maximum flood lamination between 218,00 and 225,50||58,30 hm³|
The powerhouse is of a "base of the dam" type, a uniqueness that sets it apart from the rest: it is located below the spillway of the dam.
It has 4 generators each with a 40 MW, after its recent modernization, resulting in a total capacity of 160 MW and about 300 GWh of energy produced in an average year.
The Francis-type turbines are vertical axis, with a nominal head of 105 m and a set water flow of 170 m³/s. The electricity generated is evacuated through a double circuit HVL 132 kV to the SE of La Corredoria (Oviedo), but is expected to join the short-term HVL 400 kV REE which is being built between Galicia and Asturias. In order to do this the substations and lines needed are being completed, mainly Sanzo ES 132/400 kV and REE, called ES Pesoz 400 kV, both located in the surroundings of the plant and the evacuation lines 132 HVL Salime kV - Sanzo 1 and 2.
It is worth mentioning the artistic imprint left on the plant and the dam by architects and artists Joaquín Vaquero Palacios and Joaquin Vaquero Turcios, father and son, whose designs, decorations, carvings and murals, especially the large mural of the turbine hall, greatly enrich this plant and make it special.